MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Alpine Skiing thread

View Single Post

Old 12-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #26
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alpine Skiing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
2.40 ahead after one run is the sickest I've seen in a long time. What is happening here? Svindal wins with over a second and then Ligety with more than two. I'm not used to these kind of winning margins. Associate them more with the 70s.
One could already bring the "weak era" argument here.

Anyway, in giant slalom, they there was the controversial rule change on skis. The skis became longer and thus more difficult. And that can well be the reason why men's and women's giant slaloms have been dominated by one skier.

But Svindal's dominance in speed events is more difficult to explain. In World Cup level nobody should be that much better, especially as there's been no rule changes. I don't know if the season is still so early that others just haven't reached their peaks.

Anyway, considering Svindal's great form in speed events, and especially in super-g, one could expect him to do better in giant slalom. He used to be a potential winner in giant slaloms but he doesn't look like that at the moment. So maybe the new GS skis just don't suit to him.

Stanislas Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Wawrinka winning the 2014 Australian Open is the best thing happened to tennis since Federer winning Wimbledon in 2003
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote