MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Alpine Skiing thread

View Single Post

Old 12-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #21
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alpine Skiing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post
Men's skiing is still in trouble. After Kosir, Dragšič and Valenčič there is not much happening now I think...
At least Rok Perko got a podium from today's downhill race.

That race was on a shortened course because of snowfall and fog. The fastest man of Friday's training. Norway's Kjetil Jansrud had a great run, and a few skiers later Svindal gave a one-two lead for Norway, finishing only 0.05 sec behind Jansrud.

But a few skiers later Erik Guay, who had done well in training, went to lead. And after 30 skiers it started to look like the podium will be Guay-Jansrud-Svindal with the only potential threat being Werner Heel who starts 52nd because he's badly "underranked" after his poor last year.

Then I switched to curling but occasionally checked live results not to miss Heel's run. Then I noticed Rok Perko has gone to lead. Well, I thought no one else can anymore repeat it. But, a few skiers later, USA's Steven Nyman went to lead. The slope was getting faster because of improving weather conditions. Now I watched the race again a bit but there weren't any top 10 performances so I went back to curling missing France's Brice Roger's run that gives him 10th place in final standings. Well, later I came back to watch Werner Heel's run. Another Italian, Silvano Varettoni had a good run right before Heel and his final position is 9th. Then Heel has a good run and gets to 6th. And after Heel, Dutch Marvin van Heek gets to 8th position. Before that his best result 39th.

So it was a surprising race, and weather conditions played a huge role. The victory was Nyman's second, he took the first victory also in Val Gardena downhill, six years ago. And 2nd place was Rok Perko's career best, former best was 12th. And of the guaranteed Guay-Jansrud-Svindal podium, only Guay got to podium with 3rd place. Jansrud was 4th and Svindal 5th.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote