MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

View Single Post

Old 12-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #1688
country flag Lopez

Lopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond reputeLopez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer : The Mother Of All Quests : 20 Slams And 100 Titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolita View Post
That's one way of looking at it. There's another one. These are the 8 semifinalists of the Madrid Masters in 2012:

Tipsarevic - Del Potro - Berdych - Federer
Radwanska - Hradecka - Azarenka - S. Williams

Not one of them made the finals of Roland Garros. Not one... Out of eight.

It sort of proves that Madrid wasn't exactly the best preparation for the most important event on clay: Roland Garros. It's not surprising that the so called "whiners" are precisely the players who actually felt that they had a shot at winning Roland Garros and took their preparation seriously. And they were right: they made the finals, not only of Roland Garros, but of all the other Masters on clay as well...

I'm sure that if a flashy millionaire managed to buy his way into the ATP and produced a fantastically hyped, celebrity&entertainment-oriented Masters 1000 tournament on a surface completely different to the Wimbledon grass, in the middle of the grass season, players like Federer and Murray would not like it, would complain about it and would most likely skip it: why would they jeopardise a Wimbledon title for 1000 points?

Results show that Rafa and Nole made the right decision in bowing out of the Madrid Masters early.

And the ATP made the right decision going back to the normal Madrid surface.

I'm sure Tiriac will have a blue clay tournament soon, nothing wrong with that: just don't place it in the middle of the clay season, it could prove costly to the players who actually have a shot at winning Roland Garros.
Reasonable point. However, players complained about the slippery surface which was the real problem. I don't think the colour was a problem, they just didn't get the courts to settle. "Nobody is complaining about the colour" was Tipsarevic's comment during the tournament and he proceeded to explain that the slipperyness of the court was the real issue.

The players blamed it on the colour and it got scrapped (personally, I thought it was fun). But people forget too quickly that Madrid has almost always have issues with the surface (remember the match point in 2010?). Madrid has never been ideal preparation for RG: that's why it was moved to be held before Rome.

I think they should have let the organizers to test the courts once they had "settled" a bit more, e.g. with a Challenger tournament.
lol, who will beat him? Wawrinka? Berdych? Gulbis? Rosol? Federer?

Only Del Potro can take him out before the semis, and he won't. Nadal is winning the AO, bet your house on it.
Somewhere out there, there is a homeless person who once took betting advice from GSMnadal
Lopez is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote