MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Bernard Tomic SLAMMED by Rafter, Masur - may be left out of Davis Cup

View Single Post

Old 12-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #139
country flag Consigliere

Consigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond reputeConsigliere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bernard Tomic SLAMMED by Rafter, Masur - may be left out of Davis Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthsetshootout View Post
I agree with Dmitry Verdasco, or rather, Paul McNamee's stance on the Tomic-Tennis Australia conflict.

I don't know if it's just me, but I think there are a fair number of Aussie fans who despise Tomic. It's like this weird self-hating thing they have going on with him. Some of the greatest vitriol directed at Tomic seems to come from the Aussies themselves. Americans, on the other hand, seem to have the opposite problem. They think everything their player does is correct (see: Roddick, Harrison, Fish, etc).

I think McNamee does a great job speaking to the heart of the matter. Bernie's got problems, but Tennis Australia aren't helping him (nor are they helping themselves) by publicly hanging him out to dry. At best, it's a vindictive, petty play. Furthermore, as McNamee notes, Australia isn't exactly flush with bright young talent right now. Things may change in the next few years, but for now, Tomic and Matosevic are the best bets. Rafter is not in a position to go cherry-picking. He has to work with what he's got, make lemonade from lemons, etc.
Aussies don't like it if you get too big for your britches, it's the culture I guess. Hasn't stopped people from achieving in the past.

Also the country has the most promising young player in the world who is a great example to younguns in terms of attitude, Ashleigh Barty.
Consigliere is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote