MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc.

View Single Post

Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #456
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1997-1998 Juniors: Wiersholm, Nava, Kozlov, Tiafoe, Mmoh, Blumberg, Ponwith, etc.

McNally and Nefve lost.

http://www.nikejuniortour.com/ver201...sRead&idn=1514

Quote:
CLARKE, MCNALLY SHOW TRUE GRIT IN TITANIC STRUGGLE
10-12-2012

PORT ST LUCIE, Florida, USA – There are times a draw would be the fairest outcome of a tennis match but unfortunately that is not an option. A dead-heat would have been the perfect result of the Boys Under-14 third-round match between second seed Jay Clarke of Great Britain and unseeded American John McNally as the two youngsters battled it out on court for three hours and seven minutes.

With Clarke cramping and McNally almost dead on his feet, it was the Briton who survived the bruising encounter 7-5 4-6 7-6 (7-4) and will be back to face another day.

McNally actually held a 5-3 lead and was up 40-0 on his serve in the opening set before Clarke increased the tempo and fought back well to win the next four games and charge ahead. But the American would not lie down and fought back strongly to level the match.

“He just upped his level, stepped up his game and got more aggressive,” said Clarke. “He took charge and I got a bit tired.”

Clarke broke the American in the 11th game and had an opportunity to serve for the set. However, the Briton lost his serve and the match went down to a tie-breaker. Although he was struggling to stand, Clarke managed to build up a 4-1 lead and maintained his advantage to close out the match.

“By the end it was more mental. I kept trying to hold serve, do my bit and hope I could break him. I got cramps but I had to keep going. I just wanted to hold my service points and I believed in my game.”

His plight was not helped by the fact that he had “a tiny breakfast and missed lunch’’.

His next opponent will be fifth seed Samuel Sippel of Germany, who defeated Guilherme Scarpellie of Brazil 3-6 6-1 6-2.

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote