MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - I can be the best player ever: Tomic

View Single Post

Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #73
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I can be the best player ever: Tomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I thought you like other Djokofans said that the defying words which Djokovic had in his early carreer were very nice to read and good for the Tour
I am one of those Djokofans who think that Nole's words were good to read and good for the game. But I think there's a big difference between Novak's words and Bernie's. To start with, when Novak said he was taking Roger down, he had already won titles and he was 2 months away from winning his first Masters title at the age of 19. So he had a bit more to back up his claims.

But the reason I think his words were good for the game is that we had witnessed a period in which many ATP players had, by and large, bought the prevailing narrative that Roger was too good. They entered the court waving a white flag. It was not nice to see. You can still see the consequences of that in players of that generation: you'll never see Ferrer play against Federer in the same way he played against Berdych and Stepanek at the Davis Cup final, hence the 0-14 H2H,which doesn't do Ferru justice, really. Surely a top 5 player could have found a way to beat Roger once, when Roger was having a bad day... Once... I'm not saying Roger wouldn't have won everything that he has won, but it would have been nice to see the players make him work a bit harder for his wins, put up a bigger fight, not give up so easily...

To see a young player defy the accepted wisdom was very refreshing to me. To see him win a second masters title, at the age of 20 by beating consecutively the #3, #2 and #1 players just proved that he not only talked the talk, but he also walked the walk. To see him actually take Roger down, the next year in Australia, one year after he had said he would, en route to get his first grand slam title at the age of 20 was exhilarating to watch. And eventually he backed up his words that he would become the #1 player, by... becoming the #1 player.

So I think we can see the difference. Having heart and belief, even being a little delusional at times, can help a player who is prepared to put in all the hard work, in his quest. But when you're not prepared to put in the long hours, then that talk becomes shallow and a little ridiculous...It's a fine line.

Quote:
anyway, I just don't like these blablabla gossipings on a few words. I prefer concentrating on the reality of the game.
I fully agree with this.

And all the Tomic hate makes me laugh, because I remember how many people here jumped on the Tomic bandwagon when he took a set off Novak in Wimbledon, in 2011. Everybody loved Bernie then... he was the best thing since sliced cheese.