MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Agassi, Ivanisevic, Roddick, Murray, Djokovic: How would you rank them on grass?

View Single Post

Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #25
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Agassi, Ivanisevic, Roddick, Murray, Djokovic: How would you rank them on grass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice Winner View Post
Murray, on the quickest of today's courts, loves nothing better than staying away from the net at all costs. See this year at Dubai, although that's not as quick as 90s Wimbledon.
I saw Murray against Nalbandian in Bercy 2010 (the quick version) : Nalbandian played very well and dominated first set, then Murray decided to change and play serve and volley ... and he won next two sets.

No doubt that in an era when everybody or nearly (not Agassi or Thierry Champion ) played serve and volley, Murray would have played serve and volley, and imo, he does have very good abilities for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrow View Post
Bear in mind that the field on grass during the 90's was deeper than it is now, undoubtedly.
in the early 90s definitely yes, and that's why I fully agree that Agassi's win was a giant performance.

But in the late 90s and early 00s, no imo there were only a few players who really had the game to play on grass as the players of new generations were rather baseliners who had few abilities on grass (Moya, Kuerten, Kafelnikov, Medvedev, Rios, Corretja, Safin ... only Philippoussis and Rusedski were new, but it was quite little comparing to those who had gone like Becker, Edberg, Stich...).

Imo modern conditions rather enabled more players to play better on grass and the field to get deeper, and I think that in the current game, Wimbledon is clearly the slam where more surprises can happen. In the late 90s, few players could defeat Sampras or Henman or Rafter in Wimbledon because few players knew how to play that game.

Last edited by duong : 12-06-2012 at 07:17 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote