MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Agassi, Ivanisevic, Roddick, Murray, Djokovic: How would you rank them on grass?

View Single Post

Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Agassi, Ivanisevic, Roddick, Murray, Djokovic: How would you rank them on grass?

1. Ivanisevic
2. Roddick
3. Agassi
4. Murray
5. Djokovic

First off, Wimbledon title or not, Roddick is neck-and-neck with some of the better players on grass. Ivanisevic won his only title there when Sampras bowed out early; Roddick never had that luxury with Fed while he was playing well. Still, he did well against him, and let's not forget his some 33-0 record against guys not named Fed between 03-05. He beat names like Agassi, Hewitt, Grosjean, Rusedski, Philippoussis, Ancic, and Dent in that time. He later made the finals of W when the surface played much slower, even, and added names like Berdych and Murray to that count. To dismiss the possibility of ranking him highly is a joke; he had a game tailored for grass.

I put Agassi in at third because he was solid on the surface for most of his career. The play that won him the title early in his career was much more high-risk than the style he adopted later in his career.

Finally, I put Murray above Djokovic simply because I believe the former is better on the surface. His game is better suited for it, with things like his big first serve, great slice backhand, his keen ability to handle big servers, and his spectacular movement to name the bulk of it. Yes, Nole beat Nadal to win Wimbledon whereas Murray hasn't, but I believe that's more due to match-up as well as Djokovic's general level of play in 2011. I believe he won Wimbledon at that time because he was the best player in the world rather than the best grass court player.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote