MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Agassi, Ivanisevic, Roddick, Murray, Djokovic: How would you rank them on grass?

View Single Post

Old 12-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Agassi, Ivanisevic, Roddick, Murray, Djokovic: How would you rank them on grass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Murray (like Djokovic) is 25 years old, and here we compare with players for whom one knows a whole carreer, then I think it's fair to have a little bit imagination for the future rather than judge Murray and Djokovic on the past and on that single feat (besides, we all know what happened in the Djoko vs Nadal match-up that year and Murray defeated Djokovic and Federer in the Olympics)

... and anyway we need imagination to imagine how they would have played on the 90s' grass
I've ranked them based on their results thus far, considering there's no other way than completely guessing, or using your imagination as you phrase it in regards to judging how they'd play during the 90's, when they certainly wouldn't adopt the same tactics and potentially overhaul their games completely.

Bear in mind that the field on grass during the 90's was deeper than it is now, undoubtedly.

These discussions can be fun, but judging era's can be a juvenile topic when taken seriously.

The only thing we can conclude from this is that barring Agassi, all players played on a surface truly suited to their game, this is why I think Agassi's victory was more emphatic and especially considering it was his first slam, which was unexpected at the time. We can also conclude that there were many players in the 90's who were dangerous on grass and capable of taking out more expected players, whereas today it doesn't take a genius to predict 90% of the matches at hand.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote