MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Why Are All The Flukes At The AO?

View Single Post

Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #53
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Are All The Flukes At The AO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Gaudio bagelled Nadal on clay And he did win his fair share of clay court titles but Nadal hit his stride on clay the year after. He was still at a decent level in 05 and took a set off Nadal in Monte Carlo in 2006 I think it was. Shock slam winner yes but a strong clay courter.

Verkerk didn't do much besides it but knocking over both Moya and Coria was an impressive achievement, albeit it ensured a non-competitive final (JCF-Coria would have been fascinating)
Yeah, I remember that match. I watched it live in fact, it was here in Buenos Aires. It was a weird match. 0-6, 6-0, 6-1 ( Nadal gave me an autograph that year ). Anyway, on topic, Gaudio had a strong season after he won RG, he won like 5 titles on clay in 2005 but after he was double bagelled by Fed in the TMC he declined at a super fast rate and never came back. And before the RG titles he was always inconsistent, he could play some amazing tennis but then be a complete disaster (the Davis Cup semi final in 2003, he was a ghost). It's a pity because he was very talented and could have won a lot before Nadal appeared, but he was a total headcase.