MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Why does Djokovic need to be on the verge of losing to play his best ?

View Single Post

Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #27
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why does Djokovic need to be on the verge of losing to play his best ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito View Post
He's a slow starter, obviously. It makes sense that an offensive player like Federer comes out firing on all cylinders in the first few games while a player like Djokovic usually needs the first few games to get into the groove.
yes it's also right, but it's only a part of the "Djoko-coaster" imo.

Quote:
A more interesting comparison would be that between Djokovic and Murray. Murray hasn't traditionally been a slow-starter like Djokovic or a full-throttle player like Federer as much as a rollercoasting kind of player who dips and peaks several times during a match. Djokovic OTOH unlike Murray doesn't usually zone out once he shakes off the intial rustiness.
It's not the way I see it : I don't see Murray as much a roller-coaster because Djokovic has this kind of schemes inside one set and even inside one game, for Murray traditionally it's been rather for a whole set, sometimes a whole match, that he goes out of his match. And it looks more that it's about disappointment or loss of confidence whereas for Djokovic it looks like a lack of adrenaline.

And I think that the scheme "shaking off the initial rustiness then going out again" has been traditionally more a Djokovic's scheme than a Murray's scheme.

Although in last years yes, Djokovic has been more like what you say than in the past, and Murray still looks less mature, yes.

Quote:
It's interesting to note that while Murray is still very much a rollercoasting player, he's often had Federer-like starts this year, coming out firing on all cylinders in the first few games. That's basically how he beat Djokovic a few time this year. It's obviously a new attitude that he's learnt and adapted to with Lendl, and these great starts have helped him cancel out some of the later inevitable dips during a match. I guess that if someone like Murray can learn to be aggressive from the get-go and create a buffer of a few games at the start of a match, then it shouldn't be impossible for Djokovic to learn to do the same. It would definitely have helped him in some crucial moments of his career...
yes you're right : it's possible to do that, and I think Djokovic did that from time to time as well. But it would surely help him to do that in some crucial matches, yes.

Last edited by duong : 11-16-2012 at 10:16 AM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote