MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Why does Djokovic need to be on the verge of losing to play his best ?

View Single Post

Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #26
country flag incognito

incognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond reputeincognito has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why does Djokovic need to be on the verge of losing to play his best ?

He's a slow starter, obviously. It makes sense that an offensive player like Federer comes out firing on all cylinders in the first few games while a player like Djokovic usually needs the first few games to get into the groove. A more interesting comparison would be that between Djokovic and Murray. Murray hasn't traditionally been a slow-starter like Djokovic or a full-throttle player like Federer as much as a rollercoasting kind of player who dips and peaks several times during a match. Djokovic OTOH unlike Murray doesn't usually zone out once he shakes off the intial rustiness.

It's interesting to note that while Murray is still very much a rollercoasting player, he's often had Federer-like starts this year, coming out firing on all cylinders in the first few games. That's basically how he beat Djokovic a few time this year. It's obviously a new attitude that he's learnt and adapted to with Lendl, and these great starts have helped him cancel out some of the later inevitable dips during a match. I guess that if someone like Murray can learn to be aggressive from the get-go and create a buffer of a few games at the start of a match, then it shouldn't be impossible for Djokovic to learn to do the same. It would definitely have helped him in some crucial moments of his career...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
His most ridiculous comeback was vs Fed at the USO. Aside from that FH winner, the most amazing thing was that Fed hardly won a single point from then on. Considering he was broken to love at *3-4 it was an amazing turnaround.
He's had a few close calls these last couple of years, but the more I think about it the more I feel that out of all those close calls this was the one match that he really should have lost, it was a bit like cheating death. Federer was riding a wave of confidence and great play throughout the 5th set all the way up to 5-3 40-15 and those two match points, while Novak was just holding it together even in the games that he won (he had to hit a few spectacular shots just to get himself out of trouble earlier at 1-2). That 5th set must be one of the more memorable ones in USO history...
incognito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote