MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Bogota to replace the Los Angeles tournament

View Single Post

Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Farmers Classic: L.A. To Lose Its Big Tennis Tourney

Even historically many of the great American players like Connors, McEnroe and Evert grew up playing mainly on har-tru/green clay, while the likes of Becker and Edberg grew up playing on red clay as have pretty much all of the great European players.

In fact Agassi in 1992 was the first ever male Wimbledon champion to have grown up playing on hard courts.

I believe that the USTA have switched some challenger/future tournaments and many of its junior events from hard courts to har-tru, which has been a step in the right direction. I've always thought some of the US tournaments such as Miami and Delray Beach should switch to har-tru as well, as that is very common surface in Florida anyway and some other South Eastern states.

It is not the same as red clay, but it would better for the US tennis if young and developing players spent more time on har-tru where they can still work on point construction, longer rallies, movement and sliding etc, instead of hard courts which are rougher on the joints.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote