MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

View Single Post

Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #54
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Murray better liked in America than Britain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenosys View Post
Don't tar us all with the same brush. I'm Scottish, and the idea of a breakaway does not interest me in the slightest and I suspect a lot of other Scots feel the same way. If recent polls are to give us some sort of understanding of how we feel about the idea of independence, then it's split down the middle at the moment. No doubt the night before the referendum, they'll be airing Braveheart on Scottish TV just to drum up a bit of nationalism.

Back on topic, I was fairly scathing of the British public a few days ago in their lack of support for Murray during the Federer match, but then you've got to remember who was on the other side of the net. Federer is loved by people all over the world, and especially in the UK where the GS that has received the most television and media coverage just happens to be the one which Federer has won 7 times in his career, more than any other. Clearly evident at the Wimbledon final this year, which was about 50/50 in terms of fan support. Putting my own feelings towards Federer aside, he's a difficult player to hate when he's in full flow on court.

The pay their money, they are entitled to support who they want and when they want to, and to be honest, they have been fairly vocal in their support for Murray in every other match at the o2 this year, including his match against Novak. Aside from Murrays' on court rants, he's nothing but humble towards opponents and he's got a very dry sense of humour, one which not everyone will take to.

He's not universally loved nor loathed, as seen by his support in Australia or the US this year, and I'd be interested to see some of this overwhelming proof that Murray is not liked anywhere at all. We all know MTF and it's fairly vehement subscribers and opinions are not exactly a solid basis for this.
No one is disputing here if federer was more cheered on (which is typical) but that they booed him at home. See the difference?

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote