MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

View Single Post

Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #869
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
No surprise Matt is talking tripe.

Wrong. Actually it hasn't elevated the quality of tennis at all, when it's the same stuff played on all surfaces. So you'd eat the same food 3 times a day and 365 days a year.

I actually remember the days when the courts were very fast and even then it wasn't all serve players that were winning most of the big events. Next of all the game is at a level now where the changes have gone too much the other way, that there is no diversity with the surfaces at all.

This is why all these records are actually getting broken so often now because when Borg played winning RG and Wimbledon back to back 3 times in a row was a big deal. Agassi winning the career Slam was huge because there were actually significant differences in the speed of the courts when he did it.

Of course they could easily make the conditions on the hardcourts and indoors quicker rewarding attacking play, but that won't happen when the ATP only care about marketing the top 4 and homogenised courts make this easier.

I partially agree with you. All those homgenised courts aren't good. They should make the clay courts slower again like they were in the past, those fast clay courts like in Madrid are not good for tennis.

After that we can talk about making some of the HC courts faster. (Even though most of them are medium-paced now which is the fairest surface for tennis.)