MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Federer's ranking discussion

View Single Post

Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #1617
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer's ranking discussion

He finishes the year with approximately the same number of ATP points as in 2009 (10265 to 10550, but in the old ranking system it would be the same 5780 this year, 5765 in 2009).

The top-2 is guaranteed until the end of the Rotterdam (although it gets unlikely that he gets back to number 1 after the Australian open : he would need to win the slam and Djokovic to lose in quarters or before, very unlikely considering how Djokovic does usually in Melbourne), and there's a very good chance he's still in that top-2 for the clay season (he's 1400 points ahead of Murray after Miami at the moment).

If anybody is worried about what he did in the second part of the year in terms of ATP points (for the future : that's the reason I look at that carefully because it's crucial that he stays in the top-4 as long as he can, to get more manageable draws), it was similar to 2008 and 2009 : 3200 points (in equivalent to new ranking system) after Wimbledon in 2008, 3090 in 2009, 3285 points this year.

Here's the number of ATP points which the guys got after Wimbledon (not included) :

Code:
Djokovic	6 080
Murray	4 200
Federer	3 285
Ferrer	3 180
Del Potro	2 380
Berdych	2 275
Tipsarevic	1 740
Gasquet	1 400
Cilic	1 375
Tsonga	1 340
Personally my main concern about Roger is always that he stays in the top-4. Well, the main risk if Fed isn't good in the first part of next season (which I don't hope) is that Ferrer keeps on strongly and Nadal comes back strong. Especially as there's a big chance that Ferrer gets to number 4 and Nadal falls out of the top-4, which could disturb draws a lot ... but it's more a pressure on Nadal than on the others Del Potro and Berdych will also have to be looked after of course but they still trail a lot behind at the moment.