MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Harry Potter Thread

View Single Post

Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #67
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry Potter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
I don't like reading gentle and pleasant books. If I wanted to be purely entertained and accidentally stumble upon a deep emotional journey, I'd watch a movie or a TV show. I'm reading something "light" now (or "lightish") and it's Alain de Botton's Essays in Love and I don't know, he's supposed to be a philosophical writer and the reviews of the book claim that his sentences are poetic, but I'm not impressed so far.

I think sophisticated writing is one of the most important criteria for a book to be a work of literature, especially modern literature. Did you mean the Peter Rabbit books? I don't really know much about them apart from the ubiquitous merchandise that they spawned but I'd say no.
The fact that you prefer heavier, more philosophical/intellectual books does not give you the right to redefine the word "literature". There's nothing more boring than elitism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
During this year’s United States Open, Soderling said, he was watching a match on television when his young daughter came into the room. For a moment, she watched her father watching the tennis, but then she interrupted.

“She wanted to watch Dora,” Soderling said. “So, I said, ‘O.K.’ We watched Dora.”
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote