MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Rank the the best players on the tour by surface

View Single Post

Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #40
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rank the the best players on the tour by surface

Grass:

1. Roger Federer
2. Andy Murray
3. Rafael Nadal
4. Novak Djokovic
5. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

In making the finals of both the Olympics and Wimbledon this year, I believe Federer and Murray firmly established themselves as the best grass court players this year. Like others, I'm uncertain as to where Nadal measures up due to his early exit and injuries, and the fact that the potency of his game fluctuates with the state of the surface.

Clay:

1. Rafael Nadal
2. Novak Djokovic
3. Roger Federer
4. Juan-Martin Del Potro
5. David Ferrer

I would put Del Potro ahead of Ferrer because of the former's ability to penetrate the court. Conversely, most players' shots are more likely to sit up for him to recover and take cracks at. He's part of that big hitting on clay campaign ushered in with Robin Soderling. I'd probably put Berdych at 5 if he weren't so wildly inconsistent.

Hard Courts:

1. Novak Djokovic
2. Rafael Nadal
3. Roger Federer
4. Andy Murray
5. David Ferrer

Hard to separate the hard courts into slow or fast because there are even sub-divisions within those categories. For instance, Dubai and the USO are both "fast", and yet still dissimilar. Worse is the distinction between IW and AO, the former being dreadfully slow compared to the moderate/tolerable speed of AO.
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote