MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Alternative player ranking system

View Single Post

Old 10-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #25
country flag G.100sic

G.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alternative player ranking system

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirbachar View Post
My system doesn't cause infaltion of points over time. It just treats every set seperately if you look more closely... Similary, the maximum for women is not different then for men, since the ELO rating converges to the real difference.
Amirbachar, if I understand this correctly, in your system you calculate every set independantly? If, say, two players played a match with a result 2:1 in sets, that is as if they played 3 matches, two of which won the first player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirbachar View Post
Here is a good KRACH based ranking, developed by a statistican named Jeff Sackmann:
http://tennisabstract.com/jrank/atp.html
(the owner of the blog I gave before)
As Mr Sackmann said himself in his blog, every ranking serves 2 main purposes, one is the entertainment (everybody wants to know who is the best), and the other is official - in tennis for tournament entry and seeding. So, since we can not aspire to the official use, what is left for us, amateurs, is just the entertainment part... . There are many ways to look at stuff, especially in statistics, and I welcome every effort.
G.100sic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote