MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Tsonga: Referees always favor top 4

View Single Post

Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #78
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tsonga: Referees always favor top 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
Umpires are starting to do that more often: award the point to the server even if you get a racket on it. Like I said before, it happened to Djokovic at the U.S. Open.

I have no problem with it. 9 times out of 10, the "out" call did not disrupt the returner and the umpire is just giving the returner the benefit of the doubt by replaying the point; they're basically placating the players. The only issue is that this call isn't made consistently across ALL umpires. But I have seen the call being made more often in the last few months.
yes, I agree with that, I like that umpires take this risk to call it this way if they do feel it, and Lahyani is typically a guy who takes more risks than other umpires.

Actually I would like umpires to do it also in rallies when there's a bad call : especially if it didn't change the outcome of the point if the ball was in rather than out, they should say that the challenge is useless rather than replaying the point. I saw this situation in a Querrey-Lu's match and I thought it was ridiculous that they replayed the point because Querrey easily won the point anyway.

And I agree with you that the main problem is that the umpiring is not consistent accross umpires (except to "forget" sanctioning wasted time against Nadal, which is clearly a "harmonized" rule).