MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

View Single Post

Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #242
country flag guichard

guichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond reputeguichard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
Interesting. Do you happen to know the average amount of matches that an ump officiates annually? Seems like a low amount pet match, especially since they have to travel just like the players.
hard to say . I don't think it is very high, probably around 50-60 for the top umps(just a guess)

some good articles chair ump

Curriculum vitae

Pay Ranges from £250 to £950 a week for chair umpiring, the higher end depending on if you are a "designated official" (one of the main umpires).

Hours At a qualifying match, he can be done by 10.30am. On other days, he can be at a tournament all day.

Work-life balance "The time on site can be long. We may only do one or two matches, but there can be a lot of waiting around. We can also be on standby in case a replacement chair umpire is needed. If I finish at a decent time I try and make the most of the evening, especially in a city with lots to see."

Best thing On court for a big match with a large crowd. "The adrenaline flows and you get energy from everything around you. Also travelling round the world, submerging yourself in different cultures."

Worst thing "Missing out on a home life and not being there for close friends' birthdays. And I was stuck at Madrid airport for eight hours earlier this year, but haven't lost my luggage yet, probably one of the few tennis officials not to, so far." http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...-tennis-umpire

Gold badge chair umpires, the highest-rated officials in professional tennis, the ones who work the most important tournaments and matches, make $250 each day at the Open. It is the lowest pay rate for any Grand Slam tournament. There are 26 such umpires. Twenty-four of them worked Wimbledon, but only 13 are here at the Open.

“We’ve been saying this for years and years,” Norm Chryst, a retired gold badge chair umpire, said Tuesday in a telephone interview. “The U.S. Open makes more and more each year, but very little of that goes to the officials. Gold badge umpires don’t want to come here. Why? A lot of the answer is money.”

For gold badge umpires, officiating tournaments is their primary job and main source of income. At most tournaments, their pay is set by the ATP World Tour, the WTA or the International Tennis Federation. But at Grand Slam events, tournament organizers dictate everything from pay rates to accommodations. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/07/sp...e-us-open.html

How much do tennis officials get paid?

There are a number of factors which affect the amount of money an Official might get paid.

For ITF Tournaments we have some minimum recommended fees according to the type of event an Official is working.

Since the cost of living varies so much in different countries around the world and exchange rates change regularly, we encourage National Associations to make agreements on a national basis in local currency with the officials regarding the fees paid for officials.

Some examples are below:

ITF PRO CIRCUIT

US$ 50,000 and above:

Supervisor: US$ 1700 *
International Chair Umpire: US$ 825 *
White Badge Chair Umpire: US$ 550 *

US$ 10,000-25,000:

Supervisor: US$ 1100 *
International Chair Umpire: US$ 750 *
White Badge Chair Umpire: US$ 550 *

* These fees are regarded by the ITF as minimum levels and is the Gross amount to be paid (before their income tax and any other deductions are subtracted from their pay). In many countries around the world actual fees paid are considerably more and are agreed with the tournament organiser.http://www.itftennis.com/officiating/faqs/general.aspx
guichard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote