MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Will Federer keep his 2012 losses in single-digits?

View Single Post

Old 10-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
country flag feuselino

feuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond reputefeuselino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will Federer keep his 2012 losses in single-digits?

So far in 2012, Federer is 61-8. Can he do another season with single-digits losses? He achieved this four (consecutive!!) times in his career:

2004: 74-6
2005: 81-4
2006: 92-5
2007: 68-9

This is an extremely difficult thing to achieve (unless you play very little on the tour all year long and end up with a 4-8 record, of course! ). For example Nadal never managed to do that in his entire career (closest was 71-10 in 2010 and 75-10 in 2005. This year he is actually 42-6, but since he missed half the year almost (and it is that part of the year when historically he loses quite a bit more often then the rest of the year) I don't think we should count it). So in recent memory the only one besides Federer to do it was Djokovic last year, I believe (he was 70-6). So, my question is: Will Federer do it again? How many losses will he have accumulated by the end of the year? What do you think?

I believe he will end with 10 losses, so my answer is "no" - I think he will lose in Shanghai, win in Basel, skip Paris, win WTF but loses one match in the group phase.