MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

View Single Post

Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #570
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savesthedizzle View Post
But the last Top Chef was....... Top Chef Texas

Yeah from what I've heard, Austin isn't like the rest of Texas... which to me is a good thing I need to visit Austin (and LA). Jiat won't let me forget to visit LA And one of our family's friends just became a grandmama and the baby was born ON MY BIRTHDAY in Austin So my mom and I were thinking we might get her to come down with us because she's familiar with Austin and can show us around and visit her family .

One of my high school friends is living in Houston and I RARELY talk to him lately, but even he appeared yesterday to tell me Austin is awesome.

But Texas I have like 2% country in me, and that 2% is that I like to wear boots. Texas just makes me think of like... Republicans and guns. UGH it makes me think of Rick Perry now that I'm thinking of Republicans and guns. Now I'll have nightmares before bed.

It's a misconception that all of Texas is like Rick Perry and rifle racks -- although rifle racks are popular.

For me Texas is just really liveable -- unlike So.Cal which nice but it's so difficult to get around. I think what really struck me when I first got there was that Texans will take any opportunity to get together in big crowds outside to eat food. There are all sorts of events which although they have different names and purposes all end up with lots of people outside eating food and having a good time.

But, even though the last Top Chef was Top Chef Texas, it was just held in Texas. The chefs were from all over. It seemed there were more chefs from Chicago than from Texas. In the final four it was two from Chicago, one from somewhere notTexas USA, and then Paul from Austin.

Also, I think Texas is a lot of things -- there's a lot of diversity in Texas. I'm not sure what you mean by "country" but probably Austin is a bit more "country" than is Houston -- and particularly the Houston area close to downtown Houston where I lived. I say that because there is certainly a Austin type country music that is played more in bars there than it is in Houston. I'm not a fan of current popular country music at all although I do like the classics such as Patsy Cline and Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. When living in Texas, I did develop a fondness for Texas country music, e.g. Lyle Lovett etc.

More than a lot of states, Texas has its own culture and there are bumper stickers like "Naturalized Texan" and other things that make Texas seem like it's own country. But, just like the rest of the U.S. Texas is now an urban society and no longer a society of ranchers, farmers, and oil drillers.

I'm not particularly an Austin fan though because I think the city is poorly designed and sort of glutted with traffic and people. Also too many new agey kind of people that sometimes cluster around a university. I don't particularly care for that wafty type. I prefer Houston because even though it's bigger it has more of a neighborhood feel to me, but maybe that's because I've never lived in Austin. Also, I didn't really like Houston until I moved closer to downtown.
star is offline View My Blog!