MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Johnny Groove's Top 69 Players Ever (Djokovic #21 of all time)

View Single Post

Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #1092
country flag jjc225

jjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond reputejjc225 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professor Johnny Groove's Top 55 players ever (Murray one slam away from making l

I understand total lifetime wins is not an altogether satisfactory measure of quality. So this is what you can do, although I haven't crunched the numbers yet for everybody. You can start by looking at lifetime wins and losses. Then subtract from these numbers performances in grand slam events. With these non-slam lifetime win-loss totals you multiply wins by winning percentage (which is wins squared divided by wins + losses). Then you go to the slam data for each player, and do the same thing, multiply wins by winning percentage. You then add the two totals, and voila, you have a neat and tidy calculation of lifetime achievement that takes into account how players did in slams. I will start calculating the numbers for the major players and get back with a preliminary report.

Oh, and if you want the slam performance to count for more, you can weight it accordingly, for example, multiplying the slam figure by some whole number (2, 3, 4)? But this would be highly arbitrary as there is no clear understanding of how much more a slam should count over non-slam performance.

Last edited by jjc225 : 09-27-2012 at 11:38 PM.
jjc225 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote