MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

View Single Post

Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #738
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
I fully agree with this. Which is part of the reason I can't take the 'Big 4' hype seriously at all. If these players are really the cream of the crop and so far ahead of everyone else in terms of talent and ability, they should be able to show it in every kind of conditions instead of boycotting/whining/losing early as soon as there's even the slighest change in conditions/speed (ie Madrid this year).
Well said. And thatīs also why I canīt take it seriously when people are talking about these players as the best ever top 4. The reason these guys are playing finals week in, week out is because they can play week in, week out without altering their game one bit. Identical surfaces make for indentical game styles and indentical players. Sampras, Becker, Edberg would all have trashed Nadal, Murray and Djokovic on fast hcīs or indoor carpets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
2012 AO final was one of the greatest matches the sport has ever seen.

The brutality of it was immense. None of the guys from the past would have survived something like that. It gave a perspective to pushing this sport to new limits.
It gave a new perspective of pushing, thatīs for sure. It was a terrible match for tennis. Tennis is not primarily an endurance sport, we have cycling, marathon running, triathlon alredy. Tennis should be about who plays better, not who can run more. Itīs a disgrace that two players play a five set GS final on hard court, and neither of them even has the balls to attack the net. The reason it lasted so long, was because neither of them tried to finish the points. Thatīs not tennis. Besides, I cant even see the commercial benefit in it. Fine, itīs easier for a casual fan to watch a match where the ball is in play, but surely a casual fan wonīt want to watch a tennis match for what, five hours? And anyone who understands anything about the game, would appreciate more variety, more attacking.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote