MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

View Single Post

Old 09-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #732
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
I assume if such courts were introduced you would be totally okay with making RG mega slow again (say, Monte Carlo slow) so mindless ballbashers stop going far in that tournament? There is no way guys like Del Potro/Berdych/Tsonga belong in the second week of a proper clay tournament and yet it's been happening on regular basis. Tsonga even had multiple MP's to beat "one of the best defenders ever" on a surface that is meant to be slow.
I'd be totally ok with that, in fact I do believe clay should be slow. I'm not against slow courts at all, just want variety. Roland Garros should definitely be by far the slowest Slam tournament. Clay has always been a surface where court craft, strategy, movement endurance, fitness... matter more than shotmaking and it should remain that way. It's actually good that clay is that surface since it's the easiest one on the knees and joints.

That said, Berdych reached the MC semis this year getting relatively close to beating Nole, and JMDP played a great match vs Nadal on super slow Spanish clay, they can both play on slow claycourts, although of course they'd struggle more to impose their game there.

Last edited by Mark Lenders : 09-23-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote