MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Henman slays 3 GS champs to win Paris Masters title

View Single Post

Old 09-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #32
country flag asmazif

asmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Henman slays 3 GS champs to win Paris Masters title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londinium View Post
In many ways he was the late 90s/early 00s David Ferrer, always there and about, winning smaller tournaments and reaching R4/QF in Masters and also managing SF's in a number of GS events. He was inferior to Ferrer though because he could never string together everything in one tournament aside from that time in Paris, thus why Ferrer will always beat Henman in a battle of the also runs.

It's interesting to see this old thread revived though, I used to be a massive Henman fan and was always so frustrated that he couldn't make that last step into consistent Grand Slam challenger. It's also interesting as it heralded Henman's last great year, winter 2003 to winter 2004. He reached the final of the next Masters event (Indian Wells 2004), QF at Monte Carlo (on clay!), somehow quite incredibly reached the Semi-Finals at Roland Garros and was a set and a break up, something which I still don't understand given his general uselessness on clay in 90% of the other clay tournaments he competed in, QF at Wimbledon (if the courts hadn't slowed he might have had a chance) and then after an indifferent American hard court season came back into form for a US Open SF and then lost close matches to Safin and Rodick before beating Coria at the Masters Cup.

It seemed like he was finally on the path to putting together the talent we all knew he had with the mental ability to regularly go deep into tournaments and even play on clay...well then 2005-07 happened, his game went off a cliff, as did his body and he never recovered that 2003/4 form. A real shame.

It's funny that Roland Garros 2004 was probably Tim's best chance at a Grand Slam title along with the Aussie Open in 2000, how the hell he stuffed that up when seeds were falling all over the place I don't know, and the infamous 2001 Wimbledon.
what do you actually mean here? "Apart from time in Paris" is better than anything Pics has won.

plus Tim had more slam semis

oh, and 1999 AO I assume for missed chances, that was a fairly epic chance. In 2000, he had a decent half a draw, but had Kafelnikov in the SF and Agassi/Sampras in F iirc.
Henman / Edberg / Stich / Safin / Gambill / Grosjean / Malisse / Gonzo / Llodra / Santoro / Rafter / Agassi / Schalken / Nováček / Rosewall / Ashe / H-T Lee / Kuerten / Boetsch / Pavel / Sundström / Björkman / Scud / El Aynaoui / Arazi / Calleri / Sampras / Nalbandian / Mosquito / Srichaphan / Pioline
asmazif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote