MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

View Single Post

Old 08-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #114
country flag stewietennis

stewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond reputestewietennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyesok View Post
In the 1970/80s when not all top players played Australia was it still called a Grand Slam? And did top players ever talking about winning all 4 'slams'?

If not when did the usage of the term grand slam become common in tennis, and what changed that made Australia suddenly so prestigious?
The Australian Open was still officially one of the four important titles in the year however players from the US and Europe didn't want to make the long trip down under so they usually skipped it. I'm not sure who talked about winning all four, at the time, but Connors almost achieved it but was banned from the French Open and, I believe, it was one of Borg's goals. Back when the Australian Open was held at the end of the year, once Borg won the French and Wimbledon, he tried for the US Open and I read somewhere if he was successful in New York he would have made the trip to Australia to try for the calendar slam.

The term 'grand slam' is winning all four majors in a year but the term has become synonymous and interchangeable with major, for some reason, I can't pinpoint the exact time.
stewietennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote