MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Political Discussion Thread

View Single Post

Old 08-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #36
country flag mer

mer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond reputemer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_masha View Post
I never said they should go to jail for feminism (although I would not give those girls as an example of feminism because I see feminism as a serious and responsible thing, not quite like their little act, which to me actually seemed a bit cartoonly ridiculous), but for something that I see as an overexposed case of hooliganism which, do to said overexposure is dangerously electrifying for Russian society, especially since so backed-up by the Westerns press. And Madonna.
I do agree that the act itself was ridiculous. Actually majority of those who support them in russia agree on that. The girls themselves has said that it was an ethical mistake to protest inside the Church and they said sorry to all those who were offended.
As for feminism issue that's what the injured party lawer and the judge mentioned as a their motivation of the act which made it serious offence. The line "Mother of God become a feminist" was considered as deeply offensive and a prove that the girls were motivated by religious hatred.
Quote:
(*) [i]Article 213. Hooliganism

1. Hooliganism, that is, a gross violation of the public order which expresses patent contempt for society, attended by violence against private persons or by the threat of its use, and likewise by the destruction or damage of other people's property,
shall be punishable by compulsory works for a term of 120 to 180 hours, or by corrective labour for a term of six to twelve months, or by arrest for a term of four to six months, or by deprivation of liberty for a term of up to two years.
2. The same act, if it is:
a) committed by a group of persons, a group of persons in a preliminary conspiracy, or an organized group;
b) connected with resistance to a representative of authority or to any other person who fulfills the duty of protecting the public order or who prevents violation of the public order;
c) committed by a person who was earlier convicted of hooliganism-
shall be punishable by compulsory works for a term of 180 to 240 hours, or by corrective labour for a term of one to two years, or by deprivation of liberty for a term of up to five years.
3. Hooliganism committed with the use of arms or objects used as arms
shall be punishable by deprivation of liberty for a term of four to eight years.
The point is there was no violence, no threat of its use, and no destruction or damage of other people's property.

Quote:
As I said above, I have seen terrible things in Russia.
That's right. And the "Pussy Riot" group and their supporters are protesting even though sometimes in a silly way against all these terrible things. The target is the current corrupted to core system of power in Russia which causes many of those terrible things.

Quote:
If she has a kid who is now in some difficult situation, its of course regretable, but she should have got this covered when she embarked on a protestatary career. If she didn t, I still don t think we should blame Putin for it.
If you think that Putin and the Church has nothing to do with the verdict, well...

Quote:
As for the blond being a religious person, who volunteered for several causes under the patronage of the Church...look, I m Christian Orthodox, and although not necessary practicing, I still find that kind of circus in a church insulting.
Insult itself is punished by fine according to the russian law and frankly, no offence, but those offended could shove it. I'd like them to spend 5 months in prison and then say how much their moral suffering caused by a silly act correspond with moral suffering of being held in prison and not being able to see your small children.

Quote:
And if you are a real protester at least SHOW YOUR FACE when you protest!
First you say they are just seeking attention, then you say they should show their faces.
Masks are the part of their ideology - they want to stress that their personalities doesn't matter, their faces pretty or not doesn't matter, what matters is the idea and anyone can be the part of "pussy riot"

I respect your opinion. I just wished you understand that it's not about these 3 girls and what they did. It's about the starting of civil cold war between two Russia's and it's about possible future Russia will take. One is authoritarian, traditional based on uneducated masses, another is modern Russia who wants to have simple european values, who want the State to respect an individual etc. This is a critical moment in Russia, that's why the girls' stunt and the trial caused such a storm. It's not only West who protest. Inside Russia lot's of so called intelligensia are shocked with the trial and are seriously worried that russia is going back history wise.
mer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote