MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Political Discussion Thread

View Single Post

Old 08-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #23
country flag monkey247

monkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond reputemonkey247 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_masha View Post

And, no offense, it's most frequenly not even the people who are supposed to know about it better, i.e.the Russians, but all sort of far-away countries clearly politically antagonical to Russia. ... I firmly belive that much of the non-sense that is pourred in the Western press, all this negative opinions to which (no offense, plese) people leaving far, far away from Russia seem o belive they are entitled to, is the result of nohing else but of a tenacious campaign targeted againts a political competitor.
Assuming they're in possession of all the key facts, the Western media aren't automatically compromised by physical distance from Russia in their ability to think objectively about the events taking place there. And they're not saying anything about this verdict (or about Putin) that some Russians wouldn't say (or haven't already said) themselves in the Russian media.

Quote:

And let me tell you, as a practician of law, that [/b]what [/b]those silly chicks did WAS hoolliganismaccording to any common sense criminal law textbook. Of course everybody now screams dictatorship, but fact is: it was hoolliganism., get over it!
My guess is you don't practise criminal law.

Quote:

After all if all you are capable to imagine as a political protest is the ridiculosness they came up with, the rest of the world should probably pity other stuff then their young, silly, attention seeking asses. Much more dangerous as it comes from people with a certain public exposure. And in a country with such big extremist issues!
Read the closing statements of these "young, silly, attention seeking asses" before condemning them for "ridiculousness". They sound intelligent, articulate, passionate, humane, and just as committed as Safin to making Russia a better place to live, for everyone, not just for the privileged few.

Quote:

So let them go to jail (the penalty seemed fairly balanced to me), that's what an ordinary Russian ciizen would do for a similar crime (again, it's a crime, regulated by a criminal law, no something invented to crush young revolutionary spirit), that's what they should do!
Their so-called crime was to perform a song in a church as an act of protest against said Church getting into bed with the State. That's not hooliganism. They didn't destroy anything, they were not violent or intoxicated, they were not reckless to human life, and especially they were not motivated by "religious hatred".

They were detained in prison for 5 months before being brought before the court on trumped up charges (hooliganism being evidently a very elastic term in Russian law) and handed down sentences of alarmingly disproportionate length.

Quote:

I'm really curious how would you people govern a country as big as Russia, given all the problems within (economical, ethnical, etc.) other than with an iron fist?!
With true democracy, surely. Ruling a populace (however large or small) with an iron fist isn't government, but oppression and control, and it will never solve human problems or answer humanity's best interests. An authoritarian regime requires docile citizens who submit unquestioningly to its every demand or decision, however unsound. Anyone questioning the set-up ends up either dead or in prison/labour camp on a trumped-up charge (sound familiar?). The last thing the Iron Fist wants is a population comprised of intelligent, sensitive, self-aware, self-directing, compassionate and loving individuals going about their business in genuine cooperation with each other.

Quote:

As for Marat, why do people constantly take him for a naive who got cought in the spider web of a diabolical party seeking the fall of Russia and world domination?! Would it be all that impossible to accept that maybe not only is he fully aware of what politics is about, but also that he agrees with his party's actions?! That maybe he sees said actions as correct?! Does that make him stupid? Or evil?
It's not about stupidity or evil. Safin was elected to the Duma as a non-partisan candidate via the Popular Front platform (created by Putin) which accounts for 25% of United Russia's seats. If he's still non-partisan, then United Russia is not "his" party per se, but he would still be expected to vote along party lines, whether he agreed with it or not. But his alignment with United Russia, however pragmatic it was at the time, may taint him by association in the eyes of the world, especially now. I personally tend to see Marat's presence in politics as a good thing. Whether I'm justified in thinking that, remains to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inez View Post

Apologies for the posting of the entire quote, Monkey, but I would like to address each of these accusatory charges individually.
No worries, I did the same but broke it up a bit!

Last edited by monkey247 : 08-19-2012 at 03:20 AM.
monkey247 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote