Re: Soderking Chat Thread vol.1
If he'd given up the season I'm sure he would just say "I'm gonna try to be back 2013" just to end all the speculation and get media/fans off his back. So to me this shows he still aims for a comeback this season. I think Stockholm Open makes a lot of sense for many reasons.
1) Best preparation possible. He could practice on centre court weeks ahead if he wants to. The organizers gonna favor him because of being swedish and his big importance for the tournament. Ryderstedt or some other good practice buddy he knows will no doubt get a WC and can match practice with Robin any time he wants.
2) Knows the tournament director personally. Robin probably still feels bad about missing last year. Both ticket sales and overall interest in the tournament hangs a lot on him. But he will ofc also get anything he asks for in terms of facilities etc.
3) It's not that much left of the season. His protected ranking will still be enough for Brisbane, AO, Rotterdam, Marseilles where he did so great the past seasons. Even if he fails in 2012 he doesn't risk much for 2013.
4) Probably a little used to the father role by then as the child is expected in september. Doubt he goes all Bryan Bro crazy about it and brings the baby everywhere but you never know with these things.
5). It's the indoor part of the season so he doesn't risk "embarrassing" himself by getting routined or even bageled/breadsticked. His serve alone will keep sets close even in losses. He can also keep rallies short and get some confidence rolling for next year
6) Gets a chance to see how his body measures up playing daily and pushing himself. If he gets a reaction he can make a better call about 2013 or even call it career and not wasting time preparing an entire off-season