MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Rafael Nadal Injury/Health Update Thread : Nadal confirmed for Viña del Mar

View Single Post

Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #49
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toni Nadal: Rafa's career is not in danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
http://www.vavel.com/es/tenis/atp/18...%E2%80%9D.html

Toni, like Angel Ruiz Cotorro, the RFET doctor and the player's personal doctor, believes the only viable solution is rest, not an operation, which would prolong his return for up to six months. During the past weeks they have continued with the growth factor treatment of the damaged tendons. But they are not achieving the expected results. Now, as a result of the accumulated effort made over the whole claycourt season, the inflammation (tendinitis) in his patellar joints has caused degeneration of the tendon fibre (tendinosis), thus increasing the period necessary for recovery. In other words, he has chronic pain that demands a minimum of three months' rest and if not treated with absolute rest could develop into patellar chondropathy, an even greater problem.
Did anyone notice this buried in the statement by Uncle Toni about Rafa getting growth factor treatment in recent weeks?

Growth factor agents are banned by the Olympics, see below:

"Erythropoiesis-stimulating agent

Erythropoiesis-stimulating agents such as erythropoietin (EPO), darbepoetin (dEPO), hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF) stabilizers, methoxy polyethylene glycol-epoetin beta (CERA) and peginesatide (Hematide); growth hormone (hGH), insulin-like growth factors (IGF-1, etc.), fibroblast growth factors (FGFs), hepatocyte growth factors (HGF), mechano growth factors (MGFs), platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), chorionic gonadotropin (banned in men only), somatotrophin (growth hormone), insulins and corticotrophins, corticosteroid mimics, and their releasing factor, are banned.

Also banned are any other growth factor affecting muscle, tendon or ligament protein synthesis/degradation, vascularization, energy utilization, regenerative capacity or fiber type switching; and other substances with similar chemical structure or similar biological effects."

If I were an investigative reporter, I think I would follow-up on this...
Edit: Of course, nothing wrong with getting necessary treatment, but if it was something banned, then that means he would have been prohibited from competing in the Olympics.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Last edited by masterclass : 08-16-2012 at 09:07 PM.
masterclass is offline View My Blog!