MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Djokovic's junior coach troubled by his slump

View Single Post

Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #131
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic's junior coach troubled by his slump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5555 View Post
Why do you refuse to answer my question? Is it because you know that Djokovic's 2011 season is better than Sampras's 1994 but do not want to admit it?

A fact is a statement that can be proven true or false. An opinion is an expression of a person’s feelings that cannot be proven. The GOAT discussion is matter of opinion because it is not just about numbers but it includes debate about level of competition and nobody can prove is level of competition now higher than in 2006 or 1986 or 1966...whenever.
I'm going to jump in....

In my opinion defining the GOAT is impossible because of subjective factors that depend on a person's opinion. You mentioned, for example, level of competition. Some fed haters say he played in a weak era becuase they want to bring down his achievements.
I think the weak era theory is crap and isn't valid.

So if you are trying to define the GOAT you have to look at factors that aren't subjective or depend on the perons view. The answer is obejective data, such as #titles, #slams, #weeks at #1, variety in the titles won,....

These are numbers we can work with because no one can say Roger didn't win 17 slams,....

So if you say that in your opinion it's not only about numbers it will be impossible to reach a consensus as to who is the GOAT.

In that case each person has their GOAT.....

It's better, and the only option really, to look at numbers.

Roger leads in the numbers, so if there is such a thing as the GOAT it is Roger Federer.
duarte_a is offline View My Blog!