MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Just starting out, advice appreciated.

View Single Post

Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just starting out, advice appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arora View Post
Thanks for the advice, I may join a tennis club now that you've mentioned it. Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy a new racquet as my Wilson is only two weeks old and I have to buy school books

Played more today, despite the English rain, my serve and forehand were the best they have ever been so I'm happy with that. I didn't really have to use my backhand much, when I did I just sliced it back. This is what I really need to change. I need to develop a proper backhand stroke now, a single handed seems slightly easier but it's still poor. My friends all recommend a double (though only one of them has a double handed bh), my favourite players use a double and the general consensus is that a double is more accurate and powerful but it does seem hard to start trying to hit a 2H BH when I'm just starting out.

After how long did you guys develop your backhand? And to those with 2H BHs, how did you practise using it when you were a tennis beginner?
I say try the one handed backhand.

I myself used the 2 handed backhand for 7 years, never quite getting it. I switch to a 1 handed about 1 year ago, and am hitting it clean and crisp, way better that I ever did with 2. Don't be afraid to switch. Even the great Pete Sampras had a 2 hand backhand until he switched to a 1 hander, and he's one of the best ever.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote