MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Just starting out, advice appreciated.

View Single Post

Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
country flag Lazyking

Lazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond reputeLazyking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just starting out, advice appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattletennisguy View Post
It sounds like mostly what you need is practice, although it also sounds like you're beginning to develop your technique.

Quick note: I know several good tennis players in my area who didn't begin playing until their 20s or 30s. It's never too late to learn.

Advice: You might try going into a local tennis/sports equipment store and testing out some "demo" rackets. Usually, they'll loan these to you with a deposit or minor form of collateral (current racket, etc.). A new racket might help with your slice or backhand. I switched rackets once and was finally able to hit a flat backhand.

There are probably better quality players that can provide more tips for you. But I'd say, join a local tennis club - even if it's a rec league. The more you play, the more people you play with and against, the more you'll get to practice your game.

Not the op but great advice.. I'm 27, barely ever held a raquet before.. just now testing the waters to play. I really do want to play but thought I was too old to even try.

Tennis Tipping Manager/Player.
Lazyking is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote