MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

View Single Post

Old 07-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #136
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
the question you need to ask yourself is this: in which society are you less likely to get shot? the one where only a very tiny fraction has guns and it's very difficult to get one or the one in which a whole bunch of people have guns and have easy access to get one?
My newspaper today has a list of countries of the world with guns/citizen, murders/citizen and murder by gun/citizen.

If I can turn your question around and pose it as ''In which society are you most likely to get shot?'' ,the answer jumps right off the page. Stay away from Latinos. Central and South America are by far the leaders in getting yourself shot.

Consider this: In the US there are 89 firearms/100 citizens. In Brazil there are 8 firearms/100 citizens.

In the US there are 3 homicides by firearm/100,000 citizens. In Brazil there are 18 homicides by firearm/100,000 citizens.

I could go on: Venezuela, 38 homicides by firearm/100,000 citizens; Guatemala 35; Honduras 68; Colombia 28; El Salvador 40; Dominican Rep 16; Ecuador 13.

Finally, the US has 9 times the number of firearms/citizen as Chile, yet the deaths by firearm/100,000 citizens are only about 1.5 times.

These numbers clearly show that the availability of firearms is not the determining factor in deaths by gun, but culture may play the most important role.

You can't just make stuff up!

Last edited by buddyholly : 07-28-2012 at 03:30 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote