MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Will Murray ever win a clay title?

View Single Post

Old 07-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #336
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy Murray on clay. Will he ever win a clay title?

Eh, this could go either way.. Murray, like Hewitt, works a lot better on the faster surfaces. They aren't counter-punchers like Chang where he would just chase down anything. Murray and Hewitt use faster surface speeds to their advantage allowing them to draw more errors and take more time away from their opponents while using their retrieving skills. On clay, he ironically cannot be as passive on points, he has to be actually forcing the issue. I mean look at Rafa, yes Rafa plays great defense, but the true reason why he has so much success on clay is that he can constantly barrage you with more aggressive shots that wear you down.

As far as the question of will he ever win a clay title, I think the answer is yes. However, remember that Andy barely plays random clay events, if at all, that do not feature Novak, Rafa and Roger. He could certainly pick up a title at like an Estoril or whatever. Madrid is his best chance, however, he ironically doesn't have a great record at Madrid since it became clay, Rome and Monte Carlo have brought more success. Roland Garros is obviously quite a stretch, he would need to be very aggressive and the stars will have to align for him that week, but as always with Andy, he has enough game to pull off these things. He just needs to sort himself out mentally and choose the right plays, because so often he makes a very terrible play allowing his opponents breathing room.