MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

View Single Post

Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #96
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vucina View Post
Where was police when this guy in Denver went on a rampage? And I don't want to live in anarchy, I just want the government to get off my back and allow me to protect my family. Maybe you don't feel that way because in Asian culture Government is there to rule, not serve.
I'm not sure, but I think the Serbian law states the only way I can shoot the armed burglar is if there is no way police can arrive on time, and I'm cornered and wounded and sure he will kill me. If one of those conditions is not met, I can go to prison for murder. Do you think that's normal?
(This is probably the situation in all of Europe.)
I subscribe to Western concepts of government, thanks; hence my disaffection towards my own government. That said, the guy in Denver went on a rampage because he was mad, AND because he had easy access to the means with which to go on the said rampage. Had there been stricter controls in place, the chances of him getting his hands on those same weapons would probably have been a lot lower. How does it make sense for it to be legal for any random guy on the streets to buy virtually any weapon that he wants? That appears to be what has happened in this case. It's not about where the police was when it happened; it's about how it was even allowed (to use this word loosely) to have happened in the first place. This is perhaps an extreme example and yes, Singapore isn't really the right comparison, but I can't help but think of this massive manhunt for this national serviceman (a kid of 18 or 19) who ran out of camp with an assault rifle because he was pissed at his girlfriend. One guy stole a rifle and the whole country panicked. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't need to worry about being shot by some loony when I re-watch the Dark Knight Rises in IMAX this weekend.

And yes, I think that's relatively normal, except the requirement that you need to be wounded which seems a bit stringent. That said, it's rational because citizens can't go around shooting people and claim that they were threatened. The government and the law has to protect the interest of the alleged offender as well.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote