MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

View Single Post

Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12 killed and 59 wounded in Denver shooting at a Batman showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Vercetti View Post
So basically your argument is that there is no such thing as terrorists and they should all simply be called criminals?

Meaning you don't see the difference between a deranged serial killer and a man who murders because of his religious beliefs or for a political cause?

Gun control people essentially believe that if you live in a community of 30,000+ people, that you should be ruled by the behavior of the 1 person who acts violently. One person abuses the law, so the other 30,000+ should give up their guns. That's the mentality.
I'm sorry, but why should you even have the right to own a gun in the first place? For self-defence? Because it's in the Constitution? I live in a country where the punishment for the illegal possession of firearms is death and I've never found myself in a situation where I needed a gun to defend myself. While I realise how sacrosanct the American Constitution is (believe me, it's one of the things that I admire about the US), sometimes you just have to admit that the times, they are a-changing; sometimes, they have already changed.

I would really like to know why some Americans - the Republicans in particular - are so obsessed with their right to own a gun. It is absolutely inexplicable to me. It gives crazy people easy access to a highly dangerous weapon that has resulted in many senseless shooting sprees where people for nothing. At some point, surely you have to wonder whether America would be safer if there were stricter gun control laws in place...or if, gasp, Americans were stripped of their right to bear arms.
"But certain interests of particular people are so important that it would be wrong - morally wrong - for the community to sacrifice those interests just to secure an overall benefit. Political rights mark off and protect these particularly important interests. A political right, we may say, is a trump over the kind of trade-off argument that normally justifies political action." - Ronald Dworkin (RIP)
tripwires is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote