MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Who Is The Better Player? Cilic or Dolgopolov or Gulbis?

View Single Post

Old 07-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #61
country flag tuek

tuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who Is The Better Player? Cilic or Dolgopolov or Gulbis?

Cilic is the most consistent and will probably have the most solid career in the top ten. I just can't see him winning slams, though.

Dolgopolov is brilliant to watch and is so crafty and talented, but I feel he won't be rewarded as consistently as Cilic due to his flashy playing style.

Gulbis clearly has the most potential, in my opinion. Wonderful serve, power game to outhit even Berdych at his best, but with deft net play as well. He really overdoes that drop shot sometimes, but it's a good one. To me, Ernests has the most *ability* to win a slam, but we have all seen how he struggles too much in early rounds against lesser players. Plays his best on show courts against top guys, but his mental will to grind it out in front of ten people out on court 19 is severely lacking.

I do think his wealthy background as a reason for this is overemphasized. A lot of these guys come from very wealthy families - look at Nadal. I think Gulbis just really is Safin-like in his mentality, for better or worse. He reveals himself to be an interesting person, not a machine, and I actually like how he seems to value life outside of tennis. One hopes he eventually manages to pull it together and achieve something like Safin did, because the talent is there.
tuek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote