MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - What are your expectations of Jo Wilfried Tsonga for the grass season?

View Single Post

Old 06-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are your expectations of Jo Wilfried Tsonga for the grass season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
I don't think Tsonga will do as well as people seem to suggest he will on the grass. Might be wrong but I prefer to weather the red clay and then proceed to the hope of green clay.
Why though? He showed last year that he can play some awesome tennis on grass and he's been steadily improving. He's 27, but it's a young 27 since he started quite late due to injuries (he has less pro matches than Del Potro for instance, who's four years younger and skipped a year).

Your green clay point might be true for the latter stages of Wimbledon, but what about Olympics? The one week, three set format will ensure that the grass isn't worn out and remains fast probably. Even at Wimbledon's latter stages, it's the surface the most suits him, at least it helps him set his serve + forehand, serve + volley and forehand + volley combos far more easily than on other surfaces.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote