MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - What are your expectations of Jo Wilfried Tsonga for the grass season?

View Single Post

Old 06-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are your expectations of Jo Wilfried Tsonga for the grass season?

As everyone surely remembers, Tsonga had an excellent grasscourt season in 2011, losing the final in Queens and the semifinals at Wimbledon, playing at a very high level in both tournaments. He beat Nadal at Queens and Federer at Wimbledon, playing three sets of absolutely unplayable tennis to beat to Swiss at SW19.

I've said a few times that I thought Tsonga could win Wimbledon this year, which I did in hope more than anything else. But after seeing him play on clay, his least favored surface, pushing Djokovic to very limits, I really wonder whether he can make it come true.

His backhand has shown tremendous improvement, and to a lesser extent so has his return of serve. His serve, forehand and net game remain among the very best on tour as always. If he can hit as backhand as he has lately on grass, he will be very tough to beat, his game just suits the surface so well and he seems to be improving every year.

Queens will start this Monday and Jo will be #2 seed and then #5 seed at Wimbledon and the Olympics. What do you think he can do at these three events? Would you give him any chance to win Wimbledon/The Olympics?
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote