MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson, etc.

View Single Post

Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #137
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson,

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.co...or-boys-match/

Quote:
PARIS — Unseeded Noah Rubin of the United States surprised third-seeded Liam Broady of Britain, 6-2, 6-3, to reach the quarterfinals of the French Open junior boys championship.

Rubin, 16, who trains at a New York tennis academy operated by John McEnroe, was joined in the round of 8 by another American, Mitchell Krueger, 18, of Aledo, Tex. A tennis recruit at Texas A&M who is seeded eighth at Roland Garros, Krueger defeated Quentin Halys of France, 7-6 (6), 6-4.

In junior girls’ third round matches, top-seeded Taylor Townsend of the United States was upset by Anna Schmiedlova of Slovakia, 5-7, 6-2, 6-1. Alexandra Kiick of the United States defeated Petra Uberalova of Slovakia, 6-2, 5-7, 6-3.

“It was a good match, it just felt good,” Rubin said of his victory over Broady.

McEnroe, he said, had given him a way to look at points differently. “He just put a different perspective into my head, how to play tennis, how to look at different shots differently. I couldn’t get this from any other person,” Rubin said.

His victory over Broady, one of the world’s top juniors, was striking. Last year, Broady gained the Wimbledon junior boys singles final and won the Wimbledon junior boys doubles title with Joshua Ward-Hibbert. In January, they won Australian Open junior boys doubles championship.

Broady’s reputation put Rubin on alert, he said. “I just always knew that the player he is, he always had a chance to come back. And I knew I had to be forceful, just play my game, step up when I needed to, and it worked out.”

In April, Rubin, who credits his father and grandfather for their dedication to his tennis, gained the semifinals of the USTA’s Spring Championship in Carson, Calif., and the Easter Bowl tournament held by the International Tennis Federation in Rancho Mirage, Calif.

Last edited by PTWahoo14 : 06-06-2012 at 11:50 PM.
PTWahoo14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote