MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Bernard's Articles and News

View Single Post

Old 05-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bernard's Articles and News

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/te...-1226377828715

Bernard Tomic's Roland Garros dream crashes

BERNARD Tomic's dream match-up with Andy Murray has been put on ice after the Australian bombed out of the French Open.

As Murray laboured with a back injury on centre court, Tomic blew a golden opportunity to set up the third-round clash he wanted with the Scot when he lost to Santiago Giraldo 6-4 6-1 6-3 in the second round last night.

"It always happens when you think of that match ahead of you. It comes back and bites you," Tomic said.

"That's why you've just got to focus on the players ahead of you and I knew today was going to be tough if I was going to win, but he actually played well and broke my momentum sort of and there wasn't really a lot I could do.

"My serve started collapsing and after that it was a one-way street for him after the second set."

Murray, who beat the Queenslander in the semi-finals on the way to winning the Brisbane International in January, kept up his end of the bargain.
He came back from a set down against Finn Jarkko Nieminen to win 1-6 6-4 6-1 6-2.

Everything was in Tomic's favour before his match.

The No.25 seed had beaten Giraldo just a few weeks ago on clay in Rome and entered last night's encounter confident he could again defeat the Colombian, who is ranked 50th in the world.

But 32 unforced errors and an inability to make the most of his chances cost the 19-year-old Queenslander dearly.

Tomic had three opportunities to break Giraldo in the second game of the match but failed and then dropped his next service game.

After the Colombian easily won the eighth game for a 5-3 lead, a frustrated Tomic began talking to his racquet strings, asking "why?" and he later said the tension was "a bit off".

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Ausie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote