MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Football Zone

Thread: Football Zone
View Single Post

Old 05-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #1340
country flag LeChuck

LeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond reputeLeChuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football Zone (Rodgers the new manager at Liverpool)

People say that Wigan only came alive near the end of the season, but the thing to remember is that for small teams like them, it is pretty much impossible to play well consistently throughout the season. If they did, they would be finishing comfortably in the top 10 and challenging for Europa League qualification, which is infeasible given their resources. Only the bigger teams near the top of the league can be consistently good and have a briefer sticky spell.

Under Martínez Wigan have recorded victories over Man Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal (home and away) and Liverpool (home and way) over the last 3 years, playing some nice football overall I would say.

He did splash the cash to bring in Mauro Boselli which didn't work out (though his record at Estudiantes when they signed him was outstanding), but money there has been tighter there than it was during Steve Bruce's second reign. He has signed some very good young players who are coming along nicely, and he has resurrected the careers of some older players who were losing their way.

Brendan Rodgers might go on to be a hugely successful manager, but so far he is pretty much a flash in the pan, with just 2 successful years of football management behind him, and just one in the EPL, after largely underwhelming performances at both Watford and Reading.

Also would he have done as well at Swansea if it wasn't for the great work of Martínez there? I'm not so sure.
LeChuck is offline View My Blog!