MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - ~Carlos *News*&*Articles* Thread~

View Single Post

Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #1264
Bee

Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond reputeBee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~Carlos *News*&*Articles* Thread~

So Carlos has won again - seven in a row!! Yay, VAMOSSSS, he's still my 'boya'!! (well, ours, on here )
Report from Medellin final below:

MOYA MAKES IT SEVEN IN A ROW TO COMPLETE A PERFECT YEAR
Carlos Moya completed a sensational debut year on the ATP Champions Tour by clinching a record seventh successive title. The Spaniard beat Britain’s Greg Rusedski 6-4, 6-4 in the final of the Seguros Bolivar Tennis Champions in Medellin, Colombia.

Twelve months ago, Moya made his ATP Champions Tour debut in Colombia, collecting the runners-up trophy after narrowly losing out to Mark Philippoussis in the event’s final. Since then the former World No.1 has won every tournament that he has entered, and Sunday’s victory over Rusedski ensures him a place in Champions Tour history with an unprecedented seven titles in seven tournaments.

“Winning a seventh title on this Tour is a great feeling and winning this one is very special because I lost here last year,” said Moya. “I guess it completes the circle.

“I think I played my best match today. I was very focused on what I had to do and the breaks in the beginning of both sets helped me a lot. From then on I played more relaxed knowing I just had to win the games with my serve.”

The Spaniard also explained that he feels lucky to have qualified for the final, after narrowly edging out Fabrice Santoro on Saturday.

“I was tired because I had to play really long matches against Quintero and yesterday with Santoro,” he said. “I was really lucky that I got through that match yesterday because he actually served for the match. I think that was the key for winning the title today. It feels great to win here for the first time and to do it for the third time this year.”

Victory on Sunday also assured Moya of an additional 400 South African Airways Ranking Points, cementing his position at the top of the SAA Rankings ahead of John McEnroe and Stefan Edberg.

Rusedski, a US Open champion in 1997, was keen to take the positives from a very enjoyable week spent in Medellin.

“It was a great week for me,” he said. “I really enjoyed playing and being here in Colombia for the first time and in front of thousands of people throughout the week. The only bad thing was that Carlos played better than me today and that I lost the final. But in general I was really happy here. It was a nice experience and I hope to be back next year.”

In the match to decide third and fourth place in the Seguros Bolivar Tennis Champions, Santoro waved yet more of his magic to defeat defending Champion Mark Philippoussis 6-4, 6-4 and secure himself 200 South African Airways Rankings Points.

The ATP Champions Tour will now continue its South American swing at The Grand Champions Brazil in Sao Paulo, starting on May 10th at the Sociedad Harmonia de Tenis.
Bee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote