MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Europe/Africa Group I 2nd round: Belgium at Great Britain (6-8 April, 2012)

View Single Post

Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
country flag Horatio Caine
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Horatio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond reputeHoratio Caine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Europe/Africa Group I, R2: Belgium at Great Britain (6-8 April, 2012)

Good effort from the guys today.

Goodall's serve was firing well for much of his match against Darcis although, as expected, he didn't really have an answer when Steve was able to impose his game. Darcis's volatile side was present for the first 90 minutes or so, with three double faults in four service points almost leading to a comical meltdown at *4-5 in the first set. Goodall was unable to take advantage of three set points there, but played a good tiebreak to lead the match. That seemed to spark Darcis into life, and once he finally broke serve mid-second set, he didn't look back.

Evans was very impressive once again, and he really seems to enjoy the big occasion now, which is great to see. There was little to separate either player for pretty much the duration of the match, with plenty of quality exchanges. Ollie served for a 2-1 sets lead at *6-5 in the third set, but some sloppy play allowed Evans to force a tiebreak. At that stage, you got the impression that the winner of that set would win in four, and sadly Dan was unable to take advantage of a couple of set points, as Ollie edged it 9-7. Evans continued to battle, leading by a break in the fourth set, before losing the last four games. It was a particular shame as Rochus was beginning to cramp, and had Dan held onto his lead he might have won on retirement...

A must-win doubles tomorrow, and I sense that Belgium will stick to giving Bemelmans and Goffin an opportunity to play. Fleming and Hutchins are currently in good form, so hopefully they will win regardless. It could be a very difficult match though.
Horatio Caine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote