MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 1994 WIMBLEDON ("FAST GRASS") vs. 2011 WIMBLEDON ("SLOW GRASS"): INTERESTING RESULTS

View Single Post

Old 03-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #45
country flag wally1

wally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond reputewally1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1994 WIMBLEDON ("FAST GRASS") vs. 2011 WIMBLEDON ("SLOW GRASS"): INTERESTING RESU

Interesting thread I don't remember reading before.

While there certainly has been some change in conditions at Wimby since the 90's, I'm pretty sure if you had Sampras play Ivanisevic in today's conditions, using S&V on both serves, they'd look pretty fast... What has killed variety in playing styles far more than anything that happens in two weeks in London, has been changes in rackets, the death of carpet and slowing down of hard courts around the world.

One more point - the complaints you read in forums like this about Wimbledon being slow are absolutely nothing to the complaints there used to be in the mainstream media in the 90's. The UK papers used to have continual stories about how boring 1&2 shot rallies were, how Wimbledon was unwatchable, wasn't real tennis, how the tournament was becoming irrelevant etc. Worth remembering.
wally1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote