MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

View Single Post

Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you glad that Serve & Volley is pretty much extinct now?

Yes but only somewhat. Even if I was young when the big S&V stars played I never cared much for the S&V as the main strategy and tbh total serve fests are just as bad as total baseline grinding.

I want the in-between. S&V should be viable to spice things up but also easily countered if overused.

I think some indoor courts managed the balance very well. Remember Paris Bercy in 2010 and Llodras magical run that finally ended in the SF vs Soderling. That was one of the more exciting matches that year. An offensive net attacking Llodra vs an offensive baseline playing Soderling. Almost perfectly matched. After seeing that match I realized what a rare sight it is but also that it takes two to tango.

If one player goes to strictly counter and plays defensive S&V is useless nowadays. S&V needs the free points and has always needed the free points because you will botch a lot of volleys. That's how it is. If you get nothing for free like vs the defensive machines in todays game it only works on very fast courts where defensive play gets a natural disadvantage
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote