MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - WWW SF Rotterdam: Berdych (2) vs Del Potro (3)

View Single Post

Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #51
country flag masterclass

masterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond reputemasterclass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WWW SF Rotterdam: Berdych (2) vs Del Potro (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKoh View Post
Really? You don't think so? I haven't seen a forehand ever hit as hard or as cleanly as these two. Especially Del Potro, that thing is like a rocket. On TV not so much but in person, it's monstrous. Berdych has that great windshield wiper action going on with his and he's used that shot to dispose of quite a few good players.

I'm curious, who do you think has a better forehand than these two?
I don't know about better, who's to judge? Let's just say one of the best. Other than the ones you mention, one obvious candidate for one of the best forehands not only of this generation but of all time would be Mr. Federer. It's deadliest on faster courts, but it is a feared shot on any court. He may not have the most powerful forehand, but he can make every shot in the book and invent shots not in the book with his forehand and hit it with power and placement. His peers echo this:

"He's the most gifted player that I've ever seen in my life. I've seen a lot of people play. I've seen the (Rod) Lavers, I played against some of the great players—the Samprases, Beckers, Connors, Borgs, you name it. This guy could be the greatest of all time. That, to me, says it all."
—John McEnroe

"Roger’s forehand is the greatest shot in our sport."
—McEnroe

“His shot-making is second to none.”
—Lleyton Hewitt

A bit of hyperbole, certainly, but it's a fair assessment.

Fernando Gonzalez certainly had one of the best in this generation, a lot of power. Rafael Nadal's forehand is very strong, the best topspin, but he does not have the variety of Federer.
Soderling, Tsonga, Djokovic all have excellent forehands.

Respectfully,
masterclass
masterclass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote